Monday, February 2, 2009

Hey was that the half marathon I just passed? 14 the slow way

Who -Bob
Route - W on Old Cove to Danube the W to Barracuda turn around and go to Beach Rd. N. to 8th St. then S. to Jennettes Pier then back to Dowitcher and cross back W. to home. map
Length - 14 miles plus or minus At this point I am not quibbling about a tenth or two.
Time -Left home at 8:05 walked for 4:40
Music - A lot of alt country female, Lucinda Williams, Suzy Boggus, Mary Gauthier, Gretchen Peters and Patti Griffin w/ a few Allman Bros. cuts dropped in for hormonal balance.
Weather - A perfect day for a walk. Started in the 40's with blue skies and no wind. As the day progress a few clouds drifted in, the wind picked up to about 10 from the SW and the temps were in the mid 50's when I stopped.
Notes - Looking at the weather this was the day to do this if I was going to do it any time soon. Good walk physically but it took a lot of mental effort to stay on course. Just not much fun walking alone for almost 5 hours. A little chafed but that will heal in a day or so otherwise no ill effects for my longest walk ever. This beats my Half Marathon by 0/10ths. The time was not what I wanted (maybe 4:10) but I completed the full walk and I feel good.

Seeing mom on the website then talking to Maggie and Bernstein got me a little emotional today for the first time in a long time. We are doing a good thing.

Ciao

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

14 = FANTASTIC!!! I can really get the difficulty in keeping on track while walking alone. Well, I don't know what it's like at 14 miles, haven't done more than 8. Was it easier when you were listening to a book? I have my new phone, am going to try and set up books on it this evening so Wednesday I can listen...
Hey, how did that photo get onto the blog site?

Dorothy said...

Wow! How did you get to 14 so quickly? That is amazing! And you survived! That is wonderful! I am very impressed. One time when I was walking I used earbuds and my phone to talk to an old friend. We caught up over the first five miles, and it really helped. I know that those long ones can be lonely.

BOBXNC said...

@D. Looking back I started the blog the day I walked 6 miles. A longer distance than the 2 mile walks that had been my staple. That was Dec. 19. I have been extending my long walk by about 2 miles every 10 days or so depending on schedule and weather. It looks good to go for 16 this Sunday or maybe Monday. Predictions are for clear skies and temps in the 60's.
I think I am going to find an audio book to listen to. I did that for part of 12 and it helped.